Saturday, March 17, 2007

Marriage, Fidelity and the Canadian Way

A good pal of mine, actually the CAO of Canadian Wheat Board Ward Meisner ( not to be mistaken for former CEO Adrian Meisner) is taking the plunge for the second time. Ward and I along with some "bean counters" from the CWB, CN, James Richardson International and Patterson & Sons play hockey on the Pro Con Habs of the University of Manitoba League and we have a great time . Ward is our "go to guy", a smooth skater and the textbook definition of a consummate unselfish, team player. Well he has been with this gal he is marrying this weekend for a couple of years. He originally married young to his high school sweetheart out in Sask but the two of them grew apart and divorced some time ago. Ward is a great guy and always willing to give but my BIG question (me being divorced and having a 5-year old daughter whom I worship and whom lives with her mother and that I do not see nearly as much as I would like) why ruin a good thing? The live and play together. They travel around the world, enjoy each others company, have the same recreational likes such as golf and workouts, enjoy the same movies and leisure activities.....why throw a wrench into a well oiled machine and formally marry? Is this my cynicism coming out where I am just thinking why change the boundaries or is there a need in today's society to have a formal written contract before you are "together"? Does this change their relationship? Will this change their relationship? If so how? Do they have to be faithful now that they are married but could have been unfaithful before the marriage contract? With the Divorce Rate in Canada in the high 60 percentile is our Canadian morale compass and hierarchy of values changing so much that we no longer can make a commitment ? I look around at my pals and most ( if not ALL) have been unfaithful with their spouses. What is the answer to this deteriorating morale fiber - marry who and when we want without regard for the "right one", move on when we feel like it or when we decide they were not the "right one", stick it out,persevere through the challenges which every relationship brings with someone who you know is not perfect (no one is) but whom you enjoy their company? Interesting thoughts on this bright and sunny Saturday. Personally, I am a little war torn and tattered and reluctant to want to enter into any relationship where I care and trust that gal 100% and of the opinion that I will work through challenges with a life partner whom I respect and admire and with whom I have made a "covenant of fidelity". I have not always been of this mund set but I am firmly there today.

No comments: