Monday, January 8, 2007

Why..why ..why!

Many people have asked me why I am so involved and committed to this years Annual General Meeting of the Liberal Party of Canada (Manitoba). They tell me I was already Chair of the AGM back in 1992 , I have run campaigns and nominations why put in so much volunteer time AGAIN that I am whacked as there is nothing but undue scrutinization and pain in it for me. Well balderdash or (as a friend just shared with me a nice Canadian expression) "to H-E-double- hockey-sticks with you! To me our party our liberal first among equals philosophy is ALL about being Canadian. As a part of my community, my country and my world I want to contribute in my own small way. We, as Liberals, may well have our differences but it is important we work through them in a civilized manner and move forward. Not to be too "sporty" in my analogies but it is easy to yell and cat call from the cheap seats but quite another to carry the torch in the arena of life and try to make changes . So in a word my Co-Chairing the AGM is important. It is important to me because :
1) I feel for the party to unify as we have come off a divisive and labourous leadership process like no other in the history of the Liberal Party of Canada - the party of reform from within.
2) I know for the members of the party to work through their personal differences and work to a common goal we need to cleanse, heal and move forward with all 8 Leadership Camps playing a role on the AGM Committee
3) I feel it will provide a focal point to the province to show we as Manitoban Liberals are alive and well and we will be a force to be reckoned with
4) I want to have some fun and enjoy working with Liberals from across the province renewing old acquaintances and embracing new ones
5) I need to stand up and be counted and help voice the need for change with an understanding of our past mistakes and a strong will to focus on a better future.

Anyways my nephew lost his game Saturday night but not without a great hockey exhibition between the two high school teams!! Next time Muskies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Darren, keep up the good work and we'll see you at the AGM in March.

Browners Blog said...

Thanks Quito lots of fun and Liberalism is alive and well. Looking forward to having you, Jason Cherniak and looks like maybe (tentative) Don Guy on the Elections Readiness Session for Saturday afternoon. Will call to confirm after the 23rd !!!